Director of Development
The Pacific Autism Family Network (PAFN) will be opening its newly completed GoodLife Fitness Autism Family Hub (the Hub) in November of 2016, and will be a new resource for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and their families in British Columbia and is intended to introduce major improvements to the quality and extent of services for individuals with ASD in BC. A community-based initiative, the PAFN is the result of extensive planning efforts by a large number of individuals over the past five years.
This is a unique opportunity to be a part of a world-class endeavor that is driven by a fierce desire to advance solutions and support for individuals and families affected by autism. As the Director of Development, you will be a key member of the PAFN team, serving as the principal fundraising officer and manager. You will be responsible for the oversight, planning and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising program that secures the significant financial resources from individuals, foundations, corporations and others to support the PAFN and other activities.
You will manage all major giving functions, which include principal ($1M+) gifts, planned giving, donor prospecting and research, and special one- or multi-year fundraising campaigns. You will help establish and manage fundraising goals and be accountable for these goals while motivating and coordinating the efforts of staff and volunteers in the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors.
Knowledge & Skills
• Be an outstanding communicator with a proven track-record in writing proposals and cultivating fundraising opportunities;
• Be known for creativity and innovative best practices;
• Have solid experience working with volunteers, and having been a dynamic contributing member of a high performing team;
• Have a demonstrated passion for writing, communicating and building visionary fundraising initiatives that produce high net results for organizations;
• Have extensive management experience, including the ability to motivate, lead, set objectives and manage the performance of a team;
• Have the ability to foster an environment of creativity and professional growth;
• Have knowledge of current and evolving trends in major-gifts giving and solicitation and fundraising campaigns;
• Have proven success in asking for and closing major gifts and building and maintaining long-term relationships with major individual donors, foundations and corporations; and
• Have a working and effective understanding of the basics of charitable gift planning.
Managing Complexity & Problem Solving
• Ability to design, implement and direct multiple projects, setting deadlines and ensuring program accountability;
• Ability to think strategically, creating competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans for local efforts and organization-wide;
• Ability to cultivate the creative ideas of others, make connections between ideas and people and project potential outcomes; and
• Ability to experiment with creative solutions and to enjoy the challenge of unfamiliar opportunities.
Discretion & Latitude of Decision-Making
• Ability to make strategic decisions based on analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment;
• Ability to commit to the organization’s actions and resources in a way that affects public image; and
• Maintain confidentiality of frequently sensitive and confidential information.
Financial and Supervisory Responsibility & Oversight
• Broad management and leadership responsibility for administrative, professional and volunteer staff and department, including training and professional development;
• Broad financial responsibility including setting and meeting fundraising objectives, evaluating results and developing corrective strategies as needed; and
• Develop and administer philanthropy budget.
Communications and Interpersonal Skills
• Ability to persuade others and rally them to program goals and objectives, and leverage constructive and effective relationships within the philanthropy staff and PAFN;
• Superb communications and presentation skills, ability to persuasively convey PAFN’s mission to major donors, corporate executives, board members and other critical parties;
• Ability to communicate effectively with influential people;
• Ability to change tactics midstream in response to the situation and opportunities at hand without deviating from original programs and goals; and
• Ability to diffuse high-tension situations comfortably, and maintain composure under pressure.
To be an integral part of this pioneering organization, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. We thank all interested applicants, however only qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.